Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Review

The Dark Knight Rises has been without a doubt, my most anticipated movie of the year. I am a huge superhero movie fan but lately with movies like The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man, I felt quite let down, disappointed and frustrated.

TDKR, however, lived up to its expectations by completing the completing the "Batman Trilogy" in an epic way. Here are my top 5 reasons the movie was spectacular.

#1. The action

The action was just simply brilliant. Similar to Christopher Nolan's Inception, the action created intense suspense and it was REAL. Bane's fight scenes with Batman were incredible and in some cases jaw dropping. The anticipated and cringing "Back break" was brutal and almost brought tears to my eyes - which makes it very emotional. Contrary to some reviews, I think the movie was very interactive and made connections with the audience/fans.

#2. Cast

I have to admit, I wasn't so sure about Anne Hathaway's performance as Catwoman she made a believer out of me with her cute innocent but seductive and sly character. Michael Caine as Alfred, Gary Oldman as Commission Gordon, Joseph Gordon Levitte as Blake (who by the way is foreshadowed as Robin) and of course Tom Hardy as Bane were excellent. They really added flair to the movie and intensified Batman's (Christian Bale) character. It seemed they just clicked. On a personal note, I really dislike Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate / Talia al Ghul) just as I did in Inception.

#3. Story

Although some parts did not make sense to me, I would suggest to go back and watch Batman Begins, which would answer a lot of confused questions. One being, how the hell did Bruce Wayne get back into the city and if you watch Batman Begins (or remember), Alfred mentions there were tunnels built by Bruce's great (great?) grandfather to smuggle people in and out. I was blown away.

Furthermore, symbolism and themes have been prevalent in all 3 films - corruption, class struggle, economic crisis, and the meaning of true selfless heroic acts have just simply added much-needed emotional connection with the film.

The story connects perfectly, though the movie is choppy at times but maybe that's the style it was made in? They could have made it longer but it could have been draggy then.

#4. Music (Score)

Most wouldn't consider this a reason to like or watch it, but wow the music and audio made such an impact. With scenes such as Bruce Wayne climbing up the well with inmates chanting "Rise" in some other language. BTW anyone know which language that was? And where this well is?

#5. The Vehicles

This deserves a whole reason to watch and love the movie. It was simply a thrill to watch the chases scenes. All I could think and say was, I want that bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment